Puerto Rico
Cabezas de San Juan Nature Reserve
4/16/2006 through 4/29/2006:  Puerto Rico & Spanish Virgins

Well, having left Samana at 5PM we headed out across the Mona Passage - feared and dreaded
due to the daily buildup of thunderstorms and squalls off the coast of Puerto Rico.  We had a
fairly good ride along the north coast of the DR and at sunrise we decided to cross to the Isla de
Mona, a small island mid-way between DR and PR.

It's a beautiful spot, however the anchorage is reached via a cut through the reef.  We arrived
right at low tide and had 7+ feet going in, however,
Rock 'n Roll didn't quite manage the swell
timing and hit pretty hard.  Yipes, a horrible thing to watch (it could be you next time!) they
powered off the reef and into the anchorage with the next swell, so it was OK.  Next up, a
boarding by the U.S. Coast Guard - while I was cooking dinner.  They (4 of them) came aboard
and did a safety inspection plus chemically swiped for drugs.  They found no violations and
were soon on their way.  BTW, another boarding party was attending to
Rock 'n Roll at the same
The next morning we got an early start by ourselves as Rock 'n Roll headed out a 1AM to catch
high tide.  It was a magnificent sail over to PR and made landfall in Mayaguez as we couldn’t
hold a course to Boqueron.

Conditions in the bay at Mayaguez were atrocious and we declined launching the dinghy in favor
of staying healthy and not breaking any gear.  Luckily the cell phone worked as PR is a US
territory, so we called customs and cleared in via the cell phone and a visual made by the
immigration officer as we passed by under power.  I guess they have done that before.
Onward to the USVI's Travel page
Isla de Mona Anchorage
La Parguera
Puerto Rico's south coast
La Parguera area
Headed around the cape to pick up a mooring on the reefs outside of the little town of La
Parguera.  Pretty spot, had a restful stop, and grilled the delectable mackerel Ed caught.

The next day we headed over to Ponce to fuel up and meet up with
Scott Free and Diesel
as they were headed out to shop.  We picked up anchor and headed out to Coffin
Island to stage for our next run to Salinas, further east along the south coast.  The trades
really pick up by 9AM so we started out at 4:30AM and made the harbor around 8:30AM
after motorsailing.  Rented a car and drove over to Ponce to hit the Sam's Club -
unfortunately they didn't stock the wonderful Hormel precooked bacon like the Florida
Sam's Club.
Got an early start a day or so later for Vieques, the largest island in the Spanish Virgin
islands.  Got into Sun Bay around 4:30PM with Scott Free only 45 minutes behind us even
though they left 3 hours later - that's what another 10' will do for you!  Scott had caught a
sizable Mahi so they shared the bounty with us.

The next day we planned an outing with Scott and Heather to have a early picnic supper on
a deserted beach then dinghy into the (famous) bioluminescent bay.  Fantastic time,
moonless night too!  Heather & I declined a swim but the guys got in after dark.  It was so
cool the way they were "outlined" when barely moving and made incredibly bright trails
through the water when agitating.  Fish zooming out of the way leaving their own trails
too.  Lots of fun, highlight of the trip so far.
Beachside picnic area
Bioluminescent Bay
Beautiful Culebra
Another sunset
Another perfect sunset